For too many, money is like the weather – we talk about it, but don’t do anything about it. As business owners, achieving more money is not merely about working longer hours or harder, achieving more money is about achieving your vision. So the first and foremost step in achieving money is getting a precise and empowering vision of what you want to achieve.
To get extraordinary achievement, you need to have a clear and precise vision, plus a detailed plan to achieve that vision. A detailed plan includes specific goals, steps and tasks all with a timeline of achievement. As we know, dreams without clearly defined goals, and goals without clearly defined steps, will never be achieved expeditiously or efficiently, and will rarely be achieved at all.
When people do not have a clear and precise vision for what they want to achieve, they begin to experience the dying process both emotionally and mentally. They have lesser motivation, commitment, energy and fulfillment.
So what is a Vision? A Vision is a clearly defined dream, idea, goal or objective with a plan detailing the specific steps that must be taken in order to achieve it.
There are five steps in mapping your vision:
- Define and describe your dream or vision in writing.
- Convert that vision or dream into a set of specific goals.
- Convert each goal into a set of specific steps.
- Convert each complex step into a specific set of tasks. Look through all of the tasks and circle the ones that you cannot achieve on your own due to your lack of know-how, resources (time, talent or money) or personality traits. Then write down the specific type of person or outside resource that you need to enlist to accomplish that task.
- Set target completion dates for each task, step and goal.
Some other Keys to Achieving Your Vision
- Be flexible and realistic – don’t assign target dates that are so hard to hit that you are likely to miss them.
- When you are falling behind on a target date, either recruit help from others or move your target dates back.
- Writing them down is the key – without writing it is like climbing the roof of a ladder without rungs.
- You can tackle one dream at a time, or start on as many as are important to you.
If you can achieve your vision you will be able to achieve the money that you want. Your objective now is to develop that vision, the steps to achieving it and importantly developing the perseverance and focus to see it through.
Have a great week,